Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Where Else Can I Go?

“Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life..." - John 6:68

I mentioned before how I often struggle with doubt and unbelief. Though it is still present, God had really strengthened my faith. He uses many ways to minister to my doubting soul and the most recent would be through a passage in John I read this morning.

And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. So Jesus said to the Twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?” Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”

There are times when each of us will struggle with faith. Faith by definition is the "assurance of things hoped for, the convictions of things not seen." It isn't tangible, it isn't something I can point to. It is simply a gift from God, a gift that is often hard to accept. We want proof, and many times my soul does not give me the proof I so desire. But even when my spirit is cast down, even when we are as low as can be, one fact remains: Christ is the Son of God and He alone has the words of eternal life. Sure, I don't always feel that it is true but praise God that it isn't subjective, fleeting like my emotions. It is an objective truth, the truth where we either stand or fall. Where else can we go? Where else would we want to go?

No matter the circumstance, along with the words of Peter, remember the beautiful words of Job before him, "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him."

1 comment:

heartofflesh said...

Hey Ashley! Long time no see sister. I really liked this post. We must never think that faith exists in a vacuum all by itself. Faith always exists in the midst of doubt.