Thursday, June 26, 2008

Being Superman in the Spirit

Personally, I believe Christians don't put enough effort into their walk of faith, more specifically, their sanctification. Seems we're just waiting to become holy. As if one day we'll wake up and suddenly be perfect. I wish, but for some reason, God didn't ordain it that way. Instead, He made it a life long walk that is never easy but always possible, with His help of course. I'll admit, we can't make ourselves any holier than we were before, but that doesn't mean we sit on our bottoms and watch our walk stroll on by.


Alright, I don't know where this rant is going but I'll continue on. From personal observation of myself and other Christians, I've seen that we tend to lack in the spiritual disciplines. I mean, who even knows what that phrase means!? The disciplines are helpful tools in spiritual growth such as bible study, bible meditation, scripture memorization, prayer, accountability, and I'm sure numerous more. But even with those few, how well do we fare out? Being honest, I'm not too hot.

Again, what on earth am I getting at? I'm just trying to figure out what's keeping us from disciplining ourselves spiritually. Paul specifically tells us that godliness will not just come about, it must be worked on. "Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." - 1 Tim. 4:7-8. What a picture? We train for godliness in the same way we would train our physical bodies. It's hard, it's painful, but in the end, it's for our greatest benefit, being found in the likeness of our Lord.

So, I suppose I'll leave you with an admonition, even though I think I always do that. What makes you lack in your training? What tends to come before your godly exercise and discipline? Whatever it is, I know it isn't worth what will be gained if we faithfully adhere to Paul's advice. I suppose he was attempting to save us from his own fear that he admits to us in 1 Cor. 9:27..."But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." Let's not disqualify ourselves, rather let us train ourselves "...in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine."

No comments: