Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hiking With God at Tunica

Early this morning, a load of people and myself went hiking at Tunica Hills in Mississippi. It was my third time hiking there and was just as awesome as the last visits. Obviously at fitness, hiking is a great way to stay in shape. I mean you're climbing over treacherous rocks two feet high, jumping over ravenous waters one foot in width and inches in depth..very dangerous as you can see. What can I say? I live on the edge.

Apart from all the imminent dangers, there are safer parts on the trail where we're just strolling along, looking at the great sights provided for us. Aside from the plethora of annoying bugs, it's absolutely gorgeous. The entire time of hiking I couldn't help but wonder at the awesomeness of God. Gazing at the waterfalls, tasting the clear water from the streams, only a person out of their mind could say that there was no God. But I suppose that's exactly what David meant when he said, "The fool says in his heart 'there is no God'". It takes a complete fool to hike and stare at the awesome wonders that God created and deny His existence. However, the atheists and agnostics aren't the only ones at fault here. I also realized today how often I forget how creative God is. When we talk about the many attributes of God, never do I hear anyone mention His creativity. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe that isn't an attribute but it seems as if it should be one. Yes God is sovereign, immutable, holy, and all the other attributes He holds. I've studied Dr. Grudem's writings on the Attributes of God in Systematic Theology and I don't recall reading about God's creativity. So hey, maybe creativity isn't an attribute but it sure sounds like one to me.

Just take a moment and bask in wonder next to me. We're sitting on the beach barefoot with icy sand covering our feet, watching the foamy waves draw into the shore. Gazing out in the distance we see the perfect sunset, beautiful shades of yellow, red, and orange. The great ball of yellow falling into the blue black sea, how do we not jump up and praise the awesome God who handcrafted this incredible work of art! Just think how many praises Michaelangelo has received because of his most famous creation, the Sistine Chapel. Or think of Da Vinci and his beautiful Mona Lisa. I'm no art major but I know that these brilliant masterpieces do not hold even a candle to the transcendent workmanship of God.

We are called to be mature, leaving our childish ways from our youth and grow in the wisdom of God. However, God never called us to abandon our childish faith and wonder. As a matter of fact, didn't Christ command the complete opposite? "...unless you change and become as little children, you will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven." (Matt. 18:3) So what's my point? None really. I just hope that every once in a while we look up from our great books of theology and observe the theology testified to us all through God's marvelous creation. Aside from His word, what better place is there to look?

4 comments:

Anna said...

Beautiful thoughts, Ashley! I love the way you expressed this.

Ashley said...

Well that was just a quickie, something on my mind you know? But thank you for your compliments. It means much coming from you.

Anya said...

Hey Ashley! This is Anya (Reb and Valiant Maidens! :) ) Anyway, I thought I'd say hi.

Beautiful waterfall! And yes... it is hard to see how anyone could see such things and deny God... and also back to Grudem -- sin doesn't make sense. I have an awful time remembering that.

Have a lovely day!
~An

Ashley said...

Thanks for stopping by Anya. 1 Cor. 2:14 says it all, "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."